Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Mushroom "Bolognese"

For dinner tonight we had a mushroom bolognese - or at least my version of it - accompanied with a super rich soup contributed by Jonathan. I think they paired nicely, though both of them were very filling. I've never had a true bolognese sauce, I think though that they are supposed to be really creamy and fatty...but then again I have no idea. Lily Allen makes a reference to it in one of her songs. All in all, the dish came out well. I'll definitely try making this one again.

"Bolognese" Sauce
1 pkg mushrooms (8-10 oz) chopped finely
1 small onion
2-3 cloves garlic minced
3 tbl tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tbl Earth Balance (I know that seems like a lot, but it's worth it)
Olive Oil
oregano
parsley
salt and pepper
fresh basil

In a large skillet cook the mushrooms in olive oil until they are brown and have released their juices. Add the onion, cook until translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for a couple more minutes. Add the tomato paste and diced tomatoes, stir thoroughly. Cook until the sauce reduces to a thick creamy consistency, this took maybe 10-15 minutes. Melt in the Earth Balance or any type of butter. Add the spices, salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle a bit of olive oil into the sauce, and add in some fresh basil if you have any on hand. 

I served the sauce over some pasta from the farmer's market. It was a mixture of two already opened packages - I think one was spinach and the other was sweet basil. It was tasty, but this sauce would be really good over ordinary spaghetti noodles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment