Sunday, August 2, 2009

Beet Greens? I thought beets were purple...


Vegan vs. (Un)Vegan


For those that know and love me, know how much I know and love beets. Roasted, salad-ed, soup-ed, (but not canned, never canned), beets are great. But beet greens have always sort of baffled me. When I had a rabbit, I happily fed him said baffling tops, but now I must consume them myself. Thus I give to you a way to enjoy the entirety of the beet. (Word(s) of caution: Upon using the sugar/apple cider vinegar combo I found the whole concoction to be a little sweet, so you really need a salty counterbalance, or maybe use a different vinegar as suggested below)

  • 1 pound beet greens
  • Vegan: Earth-B /(Un)Vegan: Butter
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
  • 3/4 cup of water
  • 1 Tbsp sugar (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/6 cup of cider vinegar (for less sweet results balsamic vinegar)
  • Vegan: a salty topping to counter the sweet, perhaps salted sunflower seeds/ (Un)Vegan: Feta Cheese
Getting Down to Cookin'

Wash, Wash, Wash the greens (seriously, they are dirty). Drain and cut really thick stems off. Cut leaves into smaller pieces, for chewing pleasure.

In a large skillet melt your choice of fat on medium heat. Add onions, cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and start to brown. Stir in garlic. Add water to the hot pan, stirring to loosen any particles from bottom of pan. Stir in sugar (optional) and red pepper. Bring it to a boil (might boil faster if you turn away).

Add the beet greens, gently coating them in your newly made concoction. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5-15 minutes until the greens are tender (Careful not to overcook, you don't want them to be limp and sad). Stir in vinegar of choice.

Add salty topping of your choosing, and noms away!


No comments:

Post a Comment