Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Curried Chickpea Cakes with Cucumber Relish

So if you guys read Vegan Dad, this will look slightly familiar. This is loosely loosely based off of his recipe. I had to make several adjustments, and the result probably doesn't taste anything like the original recipe. I can't even remember what went in the Vegan Dad's chickpea cakes. These turned out pretty good, and I don't know if you can tell but they turned out a bit like fritters. I used flour in this recipe, creating a real thick batter consistency with the smashed chickpeas. I was a bit uncertain, but it turned out pretty tasty.

Chickpea Cakes
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 tbl soy sauce
1 tbl chili garlic sauce
1 tsp panang curry powder
1/2 tsp paprika (I am in Hungary after all!)
1 med. shallot, minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
3 tbl flour
enough water to get a THICK batter consistency - so not too much

Cucumber Relish
1/2 cucumber, diced
1/2 small red pepper, diced
1 shallot
2 tsp white vinegar
1-2 tsp sugar (or any sweetener)

The batter is easy, you just want to smash the chickpeas - but not necessarily make them into pulp. Dump all the ingredients in and taste as you go along, adjusting for spice level. Your batter shouldn't get too runny - but hey! Maybe you feel like experimenting. Fry the batter up in a generous amount of cooking oil, and make sure your pan is hot. I made little guys - maybe 1.5 to 2 tbl at a time.
Serve with the relish, which couldn't be easier to make - just mix all the ingredients! Enjoy with good company, preferably not a midterm paper though like I did. What a buzz kill.

Ugh, and apologies about the horrible photo. My camera was running out of battery, that was the best I got.

2 comments:

  1. You truly are the queen of cooking on all continents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so cheezey jonathan - haha get it? because you're vegan!

    ReplyDelete