Monday, March 1, 2010

Orange Tofu

Hey everybody. I decided that I had to learn how to make orange sauce as good as the Mandarin Wok and it turned out to be better than any orange sauce I have ever had (modest, I know). So I decided to share my recipe with ya'll so you could enjoy it too. Here it goes.


Orange Tofu

1 block of tofu, extra firm, cubed
salt
white pepper
oil for frying in wok

4 Tbsp garlic, minced (about 5-6 cloves)
4 Tbsp ginger, minced
1/2 jalapeno, super thinly sliced
1 Tbsp oil
1/4 cup mirin or sherry
1/3 cup OJ, fresh squeezed or whatever
2 Tbsps orange zest or rind chunks
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup agave nectar
3 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp arrowroot mixed with 2 Tbsp cold water
1 Tbsp siracha
white pepper
crushed red pepper

Start out by frying your tofu until golden brown on all sides over medium/high heat. Season with salt and white pepper. Set aside.

Keep you wok hot add the 1 Tbsp oil, and stir fry the garlic, ginger and jalapeno for about a minute. Add the mirin or sherry, the OJ, the orange zest, sugar and agave nectar. Cook for a minute or two. Add the soy sauce and siracha. Then once its boiling add the arrowroot slurry and let it get nice and gloopy. Adjust seasonings and make it hotter if you wish. Pour over your crispy tofu and some steamed broccoli. Serve with rice or like in my case some leftover low mein noodles.

Pairs nicely with a sweet wine like a Riesling to counter balance the spice. Beer is always a good option too. Maybe a nice pale ale would work well.

2 comments:

  1. Jon and I made this last night.

    SO FREAKING DELICIOUS! home run meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks sarah! I hope we all get to hang soon.

    ReplyDelete