Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Brussels Sprouts from Budapest

I haven't been cooking too much - living in a dorm setting again took some getting used to. (I'm studying in Budapest). But the market is so great, one of the best I've gone to. I won't bore you with details, but instead I will entice you with my recipe. I'm not positive this is my submission into Jonathan's contest - we'll see if I can put my cauliflower into good use. Also, I forgot my camera in Chicago so until then I will be using photobooth to document my recipes. Which is unfortunate, this dish just looks like a glorified salad in the pictures but I promise it is so much more than that. I would even consider using walnuts instead of hazelnuts in this, and some fried shallots would have been great.



Brussels from Budapest
1/2 lb brussels sprouts - cut into shreds
1/2 block of firm tofu - cubed
1/4 cup hazelnuts - toasted
1 small apple - cubed
1/2 onion - sliced
1/2 avocado - cubed
olive oil

Dressing
1 tbl stone ground dijon
1/2 tbl honey/sweetener
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tbl olive oil
salt to taste

First cook onions and tofu in a pan with a bit of olive oil, and after the tofu is browned transfer to a bowl. Cook the shredded brussels for a few minutes, until you notice them caramelizing. Make sure to not over cook them. Transfer into the bowl with tofu. Toss in the apples, avocado, and dressing. Gently toss to incorporate all the ingredients.

Eat immediately, the brussels sprouts only taste good right after you cook them - I tried the leftovers in the morning and it wasn't great.

No comments:

Post a Comment